Thursday, November 7, 2013

To NaNo, or Not to NaNo - A NaNoWriMo Story

A few months back, when wandering around the Twitterverse, I came across an account with a funny name.  All my writerly heroes followed this account with the funny name.  I was intrigued.

Fast forward until today - I'm trying to write an entire freaking book in 31 days.

Too far forward?

NaNoWriMo is the name that intrigued me oh-so many months ago and it belongs to a fantastic organization - almost has good as a unicorn that farts rainbows.  Almost.  The blurb from their website is below, because there is no point in me trying to explain something they've perfected ...

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 p.m. on November 30. Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought fleetingly about writing a novel.


Better now?

Ok, so I've taken on this ridiculously insane challenge (that you all should consider doing) and I figured what better way to procrastinate than to write about procrastinating.

So without further preamble, I introduce you to my first week of NaNoWriMo.

Day One: 
This is the best thing ever.  I am the best thing ever.  I am going to write a book.  It will be a good book.  It might be a publishable book!  ALL THE WORDS!

Day Two: 
I'm doing it.  I'm really doing it!  I've written words!  I've talked to other word writers on Twitter!  This may not be my finest work but it's good!

Day Three:
This is hard.  I mean really hard.  I am glad there are other people slogging through this with me.  This would be so hard without so many people to sprint with! This book is just a tool to teach me to write.  It's not going to amount to much, but that's ok.

Day Four:
This is about the process.  Just focus on the process.  Finish the sprint with as many words as you can.  Trust all the NaNo emails and keep going.  Why do you use 'really' and 'so' ... every.other.word.  My book is pure shit.

Day Five:
Fuck it.  Fuck it.  Fuck it.  I am going to go read something. *reads whole book*

Day Six:
WHY DID I READ!!  My head is full of another author's voice.  Another characters story.  WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU.  IDIOT! *sucks it up and cranks out words*

Day Seven:
BBBLLLAAAHHHHHH.  But you know, this story isn't so bad.  I'll write a little bit.  This book could be a book.  A real, whole book.  It's not so bad.  After all, 'really' and 'so' are good words.  People like them.  Tomorrow, I will do even better.  I love NaNo!

Goodness help my family ... there are 24 days left.

Total word count to date: 16,614.  BAM!

1 comment:

  1. 16k + words in seven days? Um, not freaking bad at all! Kudos to you for getting through the first week way better than I did on my first NaNo attempt last year. ;)

    ReplyDelete