Thursday, March 13, 2014

Book Club: Ready, set, drink!



Now that the important stuff is out of the way—

Wait, you didn’t read the rules?  Do it!  Do it NOW and do not come back until you have. 

Done?  Okay.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way, a few Q&A’s to get things moving. Have a different question? Just leave it in the comments!

Q: What kind of books will we read?
A: Fiction of all kinds. But, many of the current members read YA—if you just can’t stand that genre this isn’t the club for you.

Q: How will you pick the books we read each month?
A: You read the rules right? Next question.

Q: No … I meant HOW will you pick randomly from the pool? Will you use a computer model? Draw names from a hat?
A: I can’t reveal my secrets.

Q: How/where will we meet?
A: We will have a Happy Hour once a month at a yet-to-be-disclosed location in the West End/Short Pump area. I will also create a blog entry for online participation.

Q: And at this Happy Hour, will we actually do bookly things, or just drink?
A: DRINK! No, wait. Both. I will create a blog entry with thought provoking (maybe) questions the day before Happy Hour. You can participate in one, both, or neither … but that last one basically means you aren’t part of the club. Just sayin’. I ask that at a minimum you give each book a rating from 1 to 5 stars. Email for privacy is fine. I will average out the stars and post results.

Q: So, when does all this awesomeness happen?
A: Third Thursday of each month, 4-6pm.

Q: Wait, that means the first meeting is March 20th … that’s only like a week away.  I can’t read a book before then.
A: No worries. The first meeting is all about getting to know each other … naw, just kidding. It’s about drinking. Also, we’ll all come with a book suggestion (onliners – please submit your choice early) and we will pick the April book. 

Q: Am I going to have to buy all these books?
A: Negatory. First: library. Second: This group is going to have some fast readers and we should all be open to sharing books.

Q: This sounds like a lot of awesome for no cost. Is there a catch?
A: You want booze, you buy it. You want snacks, you buy them. You want to give back to others? I am considering the option of collecting $1 from anyone interested each month to go into a pool to buy books for kids who can’t afford them. Still looking into it, for now …

So that’s all I’ve got, people. As we get settled, I’m open to suggestions or changes. I also think it could be fun to take turns hosting at people’s houses—but, baby steps. Let’s just read a book!

3 comments:

  1. Book recommendations:
    One I haven't read: Mark of the Demon: Kara Gillian, Book 1 of a series, Written by: Diana Rowland

    A few I have read and really enjoyed:
    1. First Truth: Truth Series, Book 1, Written by: Dawn Cook
    2. Dead Witch Walking, Written by: Kim Harrison
    3. The Amulet of Samarkand: The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1, Written by: Jonathan Stroud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony....LOVED that series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't be at the inaugural drinking - I mean book - party. So here are two book suggestions:

    -Spirals of Destiny book one: Rider, by Jim Bernheimer (YA fantasy. I just finished reading this, and enjoyed it - a light but adventurous tale)

    -The Third Witch, by Rebecca Reisert (not YA and not fantasy. It's historical/borderline-speculative fiction, about the witches from Shakespeare's Macbeth)

    ReplyDelete